Monday, 2 September 2013

Featured Author: Penny Estelle


A warm welcome to YA author, Penny Estelle, who tells us how legend and history inspired her time-slip series of Wickware Sagas. First a little about Flash to the Past, the third book in the series.

 
Flash to the Past: Book 3 of the Wickware Sagas

Can snooty, seventh grader Kristy Sawyer’s day get any worse? It’s a Monday at Langdon Middle School and first thing in the morning Kristy is sent to see Principal DeWitt. His long, drawn out lecture makes her late for Miss Wickware’s history class. But the worst is when she finds out she is being partnered with nerdy Larry Peables to do an oral report on some historical Molly Picture, or Pincher, or Pitcher. And the report is due tomorrow!

Her plan to bat her eyes and flirt with the little nerd, sure that he will jump at the chance to do whatever she wants, blows up in her face when he flat refuses to do the research. Her day takes a drastic turn for the worse when she and Larry find themselves in 1778, Trenton, New Jersey. During their trip back in time, Kristy and Larry come face to face with the British, George Washington, become involved in the Battle of Manmouth, and of course, meet their oral report subject, the famous Molly Pitcher.

She has only Larry to help her figure out why they are there and how are they going to get home.

Flash to the Past is available from MuseItUp Publishing and Amazon (US) and (UK)

Inspiration behind the Books

First let me thank Rosemary for allowing me to visit on her blog today. I'd like to talk about The Wickware Sagas and how little I knew about a few of our legends, heroes, and history.  

It had come to my attention that my grandson and several of his fifth grade buddies had no idea who William Tell was or why this man was a legend. It was then I decided to write Billy Cooper's Awesome Nightmare. Funny thing is, after I started doing some research, it became obvious that I didn't know much about this man either! I discovered there is so much more to William Tell than just his expertise with a bow and arrow and his incredible aim!

I was thrilled when Lea Schizas of MuseItUp Publishing asked if I'd be interested in doing a series, using this same platform. The teacher of these students who suddenly find themselves back in time, meeting these historical legends/heroes, is Miss Wickware, the middle grade history teacher of Langdon Middle School. She is the magical thread that has the ability to send these kids on a trip they will never forget.

I have 5 stories in Volume One of the Wickware Sagas. Billy Cooper's Awesome Nightmare, Ride of a Lifetime, and Flash to the Past have been released. Bumped Back In Time and Riches to Rags will be out soon. Sybil Ludington, Molly Pitcher, Francis Scott Key, and The Orphan Train are the subjects that are dealt with in my stories. 

History and I were not friends in school. Come on – boring! But I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed doing the research for the above subjects.  Except for Francis Scott Key, I knew relatively nothing about these other subjects and even the many facts on Mr. Key had me shaking my head.

I so enjoyed writing these stories for today's kids. There is humor, adventure, time travel, and education. These are short stories that throw out lots of facts, in a fun way.

One commenter will be drawn and get to pick any one of the 3 books in the sagas!

Many thanks for being my guest, Penny, and for your kind giveaway.

 
Hi everybody! My name is Penny Estelle. I was a school secretary for 21 years and retired in 2009. We moved to our retirement home in Kingman, AZ and we live on 54 acres in a very rural area. Actually we live “off the grid”. We live on solar and wind.  A real adjustment for a city girl. I must say – I love it. Nothing like walking out your front door and hear coyotes howling in the distance and seeing a sky bursting with stars. It is breathtaking!
You can find out more about Penny on her Website, Blog and Goodreads. Twitter: @pennystales
 
 

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for being such a gracious hostess, Rosemary and allowing me to barge in on your wonderful website!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to welcome you here, Penny!

      Delete
  2. I'd love to win that, especially since I just finished Ride of a Lifetime. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your support, Suzanne!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Suzanne...You are always so supportive. Don't know if I'm allowed to say this, but Flash to the Past is probably my favorite of all the five. There is a snooty little stuck up Miss Thing in it and she uses some sarcasm...I am into sarcasm! HEHE

      Delete
  3. Penny, you have me intrigued. It never occurred to me that there was so much background information to our national legends.

    The entertaining way you present history brings to mind those brownie recipes with "secret" ingredients--kids blissfully consume their snack without realizing they're consuming veggies(or history).

    Loren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Loren.....For a second there I thought you were going in another direction!!!! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an interesting book, and I'm sure you must have had fun doing the research, Penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vikki for taking the time to check it out!

      Delete
  5. Hi Rosemary. I want to thank you again for having me over and I would like to give all that commented a choice on which book they would like. I have Suzanne's email address, but not the others. Would you have them? I would also like you to have one of the stories if you would like a copy.

    pennyestelle@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a pleasure, Penny That's very generous of you, thank you! I have Vikki's email but not Loren's.

      Delete