Monday, 15 July 2013

Featured Author: Antje Hergt

A warm welcome to children’s author Antje Hergt, who is visiting us from Germany to tell us about the inspiration behind her debut novel, Darinel Dragon Hunter. First a little about the story.

 
Darinel Dragon Hunter

Prince Darinel is traveling–for what feels like forever. Expelled from his father’s kingdom, he just wants to find a new home. When a shadow lures him to a wealthy kingdom, he stays to discover more about the darkness, but the citizens are tight-lipped.

Their king welcomes the foreign Prince hoping that he will solve his two problems: the dragon and his strong-willed daughter. Coming from a warrior kingdom, Darinel despises violence, but charmed by Princess Tuskja’s dare, he sets out to confront the beast. Instead of finding a fierce dragon, he finds a friend. The dragon’s malicious humor and his love of fairy tales entangle Darinel in a summer of adventures, while danger stirs in the East, the Dark Prince. Being refused by the Princess and humiliated by the dragon, this proud prince seeks revenge.

In compliance with the king’s decree, Darinel is torn between his friendship with the dragon and his love for Princess Tuskja, whom he can only marry if he kills his friend. Before he can make a decision, the kingdom is under attack. Now it is up to the dragon to either help his friend or respect his wish to not interfere.

The inspiration behind the story

My book started as a Goodnight story for the son of a friend of mine. I had this humorous dragon popping in and out of my mind. He wanted his story told and urgently, but I think most of all he wanted to spend some time to fight the loneliness. It happened at a time when I also felt alone and like a stranger in Canada and I wanted to convey that feeling and show that you can be friends despite your differences. Before I knew it the story developed into a full length book after I introduced it to a writing course at the Banff Centre for the Arts.

Darinel Dragon Hunter is available from MuseItUp Publishing; Amazon UK and Amazon US; Barnes and Noble.

Born and raised in Germany, I came to explore the Canadian Rockies in Canmore, Alberta in 2003. Taking part in the Writing-with-Style Program at the Banff Centre for the Arts in 2007 encouraged me to follow my passion: writing for children. Darinel Dragonhunter is my first novel, which was inspired by my deep love for classic children’s literature and fairy tales. My thrill for science fiction/fantasy movies and television shows had an outlet in various genre short stories.

I am a member of the Alberta Writer’s Guild and graduated from the Justus-Liebig-University in Giessen with a degree in Modern Languages. Currently, I live in Germany with my snoring cat, Sally, but I miss the magic of the Rocky Mountains. When I am not in Canmore, you can find me in Germany.
 
You can connect with Antje on her website, or Facebook, or twitter @antjehergt

 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Antje, I was intrigued to read how your story came about. Many children feel lonely, or that they don't fit into a group. I know your story would have resonated with me when I was a child. I think children will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helena - many thanks for such an interesting comment.

      Delete
  2. I do love dragons, Antje. Welcome to MuseItUp and good luck with the book. Anne Stenhouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ladies,

    Antje, many of my short stories are versions of stories I told my children when they were young. Children are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kai - thanks for commenting! Have to agree about children being great inspiration.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds not only enchanting, but fun to read too!

    I feel when we tell children stories it gives us "permission" to go back to our childhood frame of minds and explore themes and fantasies we were grappling with.

    Loren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loren - thanks for dropping by. That is so true!

      Delete