Monday, 15 April 2013

Featured Author: Tammy Lowe

A warm welcome to MG/tween author and fellow MuseItUp colleague, Tammy Lowe, whose time-slip adventure, The Acadian Secret, is just the kind of book I’ve loved to read since childhood. Tammy tells us the inspiration behind the story.
The Acadian Secret
Elisabeth London is keeping her new friends a secret from her parents. Not only do they live on the other side of the world in the Scottish Highlands, they lived more than three hundred and fifty years ago. Her mom and dad would never allow her to go gallivanting about seventeenth century Scotland.  They won’t even let her go to the mall by herself yet.
Twelve-year-old Elisabeth is old enough to know there is no such thing as magic, but when her quartz crystal necklace has the power to transport her back and forth in time, she no longer knows what to think. The only thing she is certain of is that she loves spending carefree days with Quinton, the mischievous nephew of a highland warrior, and sassy little Fiona, a farmer’s daughter. 
However, Elisabeth’s adventures take a deadly turn when she is charged with witchcraft.  At a time and place in history when witch-hunts were common, those found guilty were executed, children included. Elisabeth must race to find her way back home, while trying to stay one step ahead of the witch-hunter determined to see her burned at the stake. 
Hi Rosemary, thanks for having me on your blog today. It's a pleasure, Tammy!
Inspiration behind the story:
As a kid, I loved to read books (and watch shows) like Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gables. Those types of novels inspired me in every way possible. (Me too, Tammy!)
I loved anything set in the “olden days”. When I was about ten years old, I began to wonder about time travel.  My biggest wish was that I’d end up back in the pioneer era. I wanted to go and hang out with spoiled Nellie Olsen. I don’t remember why I wished for Nellie over Laura Ingalls, but I think it had something to do with the fact that her parents owned the candy shop.
I had it all figured out. I didn’t want to live in the 18th or 19th century; I’d miss my family too much. And I can’t live without modern comforts.  I wanted the freedom to travel back and forth through time.
My wish to time travel was so strong; I even dressed the part, as much as I could, without raising anyone’s suspicions. I wore dresses to school every day, when all my friends wore jeans and t-shirts. I had to be prepared just in case it worked and I was whisked through time. That summer, I even begged my mom to buy me a bonnet. She did. I wore that white bonnet everywhere. If I ended up in Walnut Grove or Avonlea, I was prepared. 
By the sixth grade I was old enough to realize that time travel probably wasn’t going to be a reality for me, so I decided when I grew up, I’d write a story about a girl who could travel back and forth through time.
Cute photo, Tammy! 
The Acadian Secret is available from MuseItUp Publishing, Amazon UK and Amazon US


I live in Cambridge, Ontario, with my husband of twenty years and our teenage son. From September to June, I am surrounded by preschoolers and covered in glitter and glue.
Once school is out, I grab my hubby and our son and we are off on some grand adventure. We’ve explored pyramids in Egypt and sailed down a river in rural China on a tiny raft. We’ve slept in the tower of a 15th century Scottish castle, searched for the Loch Ness Monster and have even dined at a Bedouin camp in the Arabian Desert. I love to explore this amazing world of ours. 
You can find out more about Tammy on her website.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me on your blog today, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ladies. Great post! Tammy, I also write MG time travel stories. Your story sounds wonderful!

    PS - Little House on the Prairie is STILL one of my favorite shows, no matter how much fun my hubby makes of me!

    Penny Estelle

    ppss.....Great site, Ros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny - thanks for the comments. You're welcome to guest on the blog sometime.

      Delete
    2. Hi Penny,

      I'll have to check out your stories!

      Delete
  3. I love the call of adventure in The Acadian Secret, Tammy. And, you just might teach young readers a lesson or two about history, and they won't even know it :-) Best to you and Elisabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Pat - you're right about the history aspect!

      Delete
  4. Thanks again for being on the blog, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete