Monday, 8 April 2013

Featured Author: Suzanne de Montigny

A warm welcome to Canadian author, Suzanne de Montigny, who tells us the inspiration behind her lovely Tween book, The Shadow of the Unicorn: The Legacy. Who doesn’t love unicorns, and it’s on special offer at the moment!

The Shadow of the Unicorn: The Legacy

A loud, hissing sound filled the air. The unicorns looked up, their eyes filled with horror.

Azaria, a unicorn colt, is intrigued when the young, clairvoyant dinosaur, Darius, foresees a terrifying change to their world. When a giant fireball smashes into the earth, the unicorns struggle to survive the hurricanes and starvation that follow. But nothing compares to the danger when the creatures-that-walk-on-two-legs settle in the valley, and their leader discovers the healing power in the unicorns’ horns. Greedy and ruthless, Ishmael will stop at nothing in his pursuit of wealth – even the complete extinction of the herd. Azaria must find a way to outsmart Ishmael before it’s too late.

How the Story Came To Be

Believe it or not, this is a story I began when I was eleven-years-old. We had a writing project due at school and I got carried away. What was supposed to be a short story became a six chapter, eighteen-page, fully illustrated novella. I called it The Legend of the Unicorn. I got an A.

Later, somewhere in my teens, I began rewriting it in earnest, producing the first four chapters which I completely forgot about. Then one day, a few years ago, while cleaning the basement, I found it again in an old, dusty box full of my childhood things. Being in a hurry to get rid of what I thought was junk, I threw it into the recycling box. Then, two days later, I decided I should at least go and see what I wrote. By this time, the story had been rained upon, so I had to dry it out. When I read it, I was completely taken by surprise. “A psychic dinosaur?” I exclaimed. Five days later, I began writing it again, and two weeks after that, I had the first draft. In all, it took forty-one years to have it published!

I love that tale, Suzanne!

The Shadow of the Unicorn: The Legacy is available from MuseItUp Publishing, Amazon UK and Amazon US. It’s on special offer just now, at $1.99. And please leave a comment, as Suzanne is kindly choosing someone to win a free copy of the ebook.

Here's the link to Suzanne's wonderful trailer:


I grew up in the small, but charming town of Chilliwack, B.C., Canada. As a child, I loved animals, particularly horses. Sadly, I never got my dream horse, and that’s probably why I wrote about unicorns. I was also a piano girl and worked very hard to eventually get my ARCT, which is the equivalent of a two-year college certificate in Canada.

Later, I studied music, earning a Master’s degree. I taught music in the public school system where I discovered I had a knack for storytelling. Kids loved my tales. Then when my father died, I was hit with hyperscribia, an intense need to write, but it didn’t stop at the speech I presented at his funeral. I kept writing and writing and have never stopped. I live in Burnaby, B.C. with my husband and two boys.

Find out more about Suzanne on her website, blog, twitter and Facebook
 

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, Rosemary. It was an honour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to welcome you here, Suzanne!

      Delete
  2. Forty-one years from inception to completion. Not bad, Suzanne. Thank goodness your inner self was driven first, to write it . . . next, to write it again . . . then finally to truly resurrect it from the ahes like a phoenix and REALLY write it.

    I often think the imagination of a child, as this book began, is the catalyst for the very best creative efforts. And I think you know how much I and my other half Bil love unicorns.

    Congratulations! I'm sure this book . . . and any to follow . . . will be hugely successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for dropping in, Bil and Bon, and for leaving a lovely comment!

      Delete
  3. Rosemary, you're right: who doesn't love unicorns? What a creative, imaginative fantasy, Suzanne! I'm sure you and Azaria will find a multitude of fans of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over, Pat - I knew there would be more unicorn fans!

      Delete
  4. Sounds great! We lived in Chillwack too for while but the rain drove me nuts so we moved to the prairies lol! Now the snow drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you here, Killarney - thanks!

      Delete
  5. Great interview, ladies! My 9-year-old would love to read this--unicorns and dinosaurs, what a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for coming over, Kathy! Let me know if you want to be featured on this blog.

      Delete
  6. A great story behind the story. It's always fun to learn how the author wrote the book. Very nice cover. Congratulations and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverly - many thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  7. Gee, I just got back on my computer. Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone! I'm glad you all love unicorns just as much as I do! And Killarney, I had no idea you lived in Chilliwack too. Yes, it does rain a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And the winner of the book is Bilbon Franks! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, thanks, Suzanne - exellent news. Thanks a lot for being my guest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting interview, Suzanne and Rosemary. I love the cover. They do say we should never throw any of our writing away. You've proved the point!

    ReplyDelete