Monday, 11 March 2013

Featured Author: Kay LaLone


A warm welcome to fellow Muse It Up tween author Kay LaLone with her intriguing novel, Ghostly Clues.
 
Ghostly Clues

The sweet scent of lilacs permeates the air around Grandma’s gravesite. Only Sarah Kay can smell Grandma’s favorite flower, and they’re not even in bloom. 
Sarah Kay and her best friend, Mary Jane, believe the lilacs are a sign from Grandma’s ghost. The girls follow one ghostly clue after another, uncovering a secret that Mom never wanted Sarah Kay to know.

Grandma makes sure Sarah Kay gets the message even from the grave. As the evidence piles up, Mom still refuses to accept the possibility Sarah Kay’s father is alive.
Sarah Kay finds Dad’s parents. A set of grandparents she didn’t realize existed. They make it clear her father is alive but days and miles separate the father and daughter reunion because Dad is a truck driver on a long haul. 

Sarah Kay waits. The news reports a fatal car accident involving a semi and Sarah Kay fears the worse. She runs away which leads to Dad and the truth: Mom wanted Dad to remain dead.
Dad had faked his death, so why not just stay dead.  The ghostly clues of Grandma wouldn’t allow Dad to remain dead to Sarah Kay.

The inspiration behind the story

The inspiration for Ghostly Clues started when I was about Sarah Kay’s age and my grandmother passed away. One night, shortly after she passed away, I saw a ghost hand creep up on my bed and take my doll. Creepy. Well, that thought has always haunted me. Over the years as I developed as a writer, I always wanted to add that experience to a story. So I did in Ghostly Clues. I don’t believe my grandmother is a ghost like Sarah Kay’s grandma, but I believe my grandma is watching over me and she is the inspiration for this story.
 

Author of Ghostly Clues, Kay LaLone, lives in Michigan with her husband and fourteen year old son (two older sons live near by) and two dogs and a cat. She loves to get up in the morning and write. Her favorite things to write about are ghosts and supernatural creatures. She is an avid reader and does reviews on the books she reads.

 

Ghostly Clues is Available from MuseItUp Publishing and Amazon (US) and (UK)

You can find out more about Kay on her website

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great novel. I love ghost stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always loved ghost stories, so this was a fun book to write.

      Delete
  2. The smell of lilacs is sort of astringent and challenging, rather than sweet and welcoming. Intriguing choice. Anne Stenhouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love the smell of lilacs.

      Delete
  3. The smell of lilacs is sort of astringent and challenging, rather than sweet and welcoming. Intriguing choice. Anne Stenhouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Kay. What a winner you have here. A mystery and a ghost. Great combination for the reader. It sounds like a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorrie,

      Thanks. Ghostly Clues was a fun book to write.

      Delete
  5. I really like the way you weave this story, even in a blurb. The "ghost" aspect is intriguing, and it's also interesting to consider how young people understand and finally deal with death.

    This sounds like a book that will garner lots of avid readers. Best of success!

    ~Erin OQuinn aka Bon Franks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope readers will enjoy reading Ghostly Clues. It was a fun story to write.

      Delete
  6. Just a quick thank you to all who have left a comment. Still have no Internet connection and using hubby's computer briefly.

    Kay - it's lovely having you on the blog and I really like the sound of Ghostly Clues - one for my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete